Chattanooga, TN (WDEF) – A resident admitted to smoking in bed and falling asleep causing a fire that displaced nearly 200 residents at the Patten Towers Saturday. Shortly after 10:30 a.m. Saturday, firefighters responded to the fire at the apartments on East 11th Street.
A resident said he fell asleep while smoking in his seventh floor apartment and when he woke up, his bed was on fire. He tried to do what he could to put the fire out, but the flames started to spread to the rest of his apartment.
Firefighters were able to control the fire in that apartment but had to deal with hot spots and smoke throughout the building. The fire was out at 11:44 a.m. Floors 7, 8, and 9 were severely impacted by the fire, but the entire building was evacuated due to damage.
One resident was sent to the hospital with smoke inhalation and three firefighters were treated on the scene for minor burns.
The total number of displaced residents is nearly 200, divided among several hotel properties in the region, some of which are changing Monday as the city works to find the most suitable solution for each individual.