CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (WDEF) — Chattanooga Police are urging the public to carefully inspect any ATM’s before using them this holiday season.
CPD found skimming devices on two ATMs in the Chattanooga area Tuesday. They say the criminals added a piece of cladding to hide the device on the machines.
Fraud investigators encourage people to shake or wiggle any protruding parts of the machine to check it’s authenticity.
Make sure you cover the keypad when entering your PIN, and be wary of anyone loitering by machines.
A full list of tips from the Chattanooga Police Department are listed below:
* Check the ATM for tampering
* Shake/wiggle any protruding parts of the machine
* Cover the keypad when entering your PIN
* Check the keypad to make sure there isn’t anything placed over it that moves
* Look for an ATM that’s inside a bank or within sight of a security camera
* Be wary of anyone loitering by machines
* Check bank & credit card statements often
Chattanooga Police say if you think an ATM has a skimming device on it, do not try to tamper with the device. Authorities ask you to call police at (423) 698-2525 or tell a worker at the location.