Tennessee board shifts gas station cleanup costs

0
Governor names new boards and commissions.
Gov. Bill Haslam

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Since Gov. Bill Haslam took office, a Tennessee board that enforces environmental rules has eased the burden of business owners to pay for cleaning up toxic spills at gas stations and truck stops.

The Tennessean (http://tnne.ws/2bVQf5z ) reports the 14-member Underground Storage Tank and Solid Waste Disposal Control Board has been reconfigured since Haslam took office in 2011. Twelve of the board’s members are appointed by the governor.

- Advertisement -

The Department of Environment and Conservation oversees a $50 million environmental cleanup fund whose rules are set by the board.

The newspaper reports the share of the fund’s annual contributions paid by companies has dropped from nearly 19 percent in 2010 to 10 percent in 2015, leaving the remaining 90 percent to be paid by taxpayers.

Haslam and his brother own truck-stop chain Flying Pilot J.



(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)