Roughly thirty people met in a round-table discussion Monday night in what Unifi-ed is calling a “leadership matter” summit.
Their goal is to bring the community together to voice their concerns about the Hamilton County School District, and with a hope of influencing the hiring process of the school’s next Superintendent.
“There are so many critical issues happening to our children, and we all have to be a village and come together in selecting the next leader of our school system,” said Dennis Clark, a candidate for the State House.
Among discussing the requirements that they would like to see the next Superintendent, the desire to implement a better curriculum took up most of the night’s discussion.
“Why do children do so well in a private school, but our school board officials, the people who are involved in the education of our school system, haven’t adopted the models from Brainerd, McCullough, Normal Park; why haven’t they adopted those models?” ask an unidentified attendee.
Talks of even implementing charter schools was brought up. Something that some may not necessarily agree would fix the issue.
“When the parents pay money, they see to it that their kids go to the tutoring programs, and they do everything that they’re supposed to do, so it’s all of us together. So, the public schools educate everybody, and the private schools get to pick and choose what they have, so it’s not the curriculum, it’s not the teachers, it’s all of us.”
Organizers for the event say that even though there were some disagreements during the forum, it was overall positive.
“They were really engaged, everybody was talking, and really excited about having a say, or potentially having a say, in the next superintendent,” said Unifi-ed Director Elizabeth Cruz.
The group has several more meetings slated between now and the next school board meeting, which is April 14th.
- 22-MAR–LEADERSHIP MATTERS: COMMUNITY VOICE IN SUPERINTENDENT SELECTION (HIXSON)
- 24-MAR–LEADERSHIP MATTERS: COMMUNITY VOICE IN SUPERINTENDENT SELECTION (NORTHSHORE)
- 4-APR–LEADERSHIP MATTERS: COMMUNITY VOICE IN SUPERINTENDENT SELECTION (EAST RIDGE)
- 5-APR–LEADERSHIP MATTERS: COMMUNITY VOICE IN SUPERINTENDENT SELECTION (EAST BRAINERD)
- 7-APR–LEADERSHIP MATTERS: COMMUNITY VOICE IN SUPERINTENDENT SELECTION (RED BANK)
- 12-APR–LEADERSHIP MATTERS: COMMUNITY VOICE IN SUPERINTENDENT SELECTION (SODDY DAISY)
- 14-APR–LEADERSHIP MATTERS: COMMUNITY VOICE IN SUPERINTENDENT SELECTION (SIGNAL MOUNTAIN)