JASPER, Tenn. (WDEF)- A natural gas leak in Jasper created some tense moments for residents.
Around 5:30 central time, residents reported a strong odor in an area near two businesses.
When fire officials arrived on the scene they found a gas line had been hit by a vehicle.
Because of that, natural gas was leaking around the area.
Law officials said this could have been a lot worse if it had caught on fire.
“We had to evacuate the businesses here that was in close proximity of the gas leak, in which we did and the Marion natural gas was notified where workers came out on the scene and capped the gas leak off and there the Fire Department cleared it back up to open.”
The leak is temporarily plugged.
Gas companies notified the businesses nearby that they would be there in the morning to fix the line and permanently secure it.